Parterre at Uppsala Botanic Garden, Sweden
Uppsala Botanic Garden, old part (“Baroque garden”), first constructed 350 years ago by Olof Rudbeck the elder, changed to present layout 260 years ago by Carl Hårleman, with the 210 year old neoclassic building Linneanum (with an orangery, still in continuous use, housing four Laurus nobilis trees planted by Linnaeus) in the background. The pyramids are common spruce (Picea abies).Linnaeus’ garden, reconstructed in early 20th century on the 1750 plan by Linnaeus and Hårleman.
The Uppsala University Botanic Garden is the oldest botanical garden in Sweden. It was founded in 1655 by Olof Rudbeck the elder, professor of medicine. The garden was then situated in the centre of Uppsala, close to the river Fyrisån. The garden was used for teaching students botany and pharmacy. By the end of the century, more than 1,800 species were grown in the garden, many of them for the first time in Sweden. Olof Rudbecks´ botanical garden was largely destroyed by a fire in 1702. The university could not afford to restore it, and it was left unattended for a period of 40 years.
In 1741, Carl Linnaeus became professor of medicine at Uppsala University and responsible for the neglected garden. Under his supervision, it turned into one of the foremost gardens of its time. Through contacts with fellow scientists all over the world, Linnaeus was able to gather thousands of foreign plants in cultivation. They were grown in parterres either based on ecology or following the classes of the sexual system This botanical garden has been reconstructed according to Linnaeus’ original plan from 1745. It is now called the Linnaeus’ Garden.