|This memorial was officially unveiled on August 28th 1995 at a Commemoration Service to mark the 150th anniversary of the outbreak of potato blight in the county in which it first appeared. It was built by stonemason Lawrence Connors, and the bronze table with five empty plates was created by Derry-born sculptor Eamon O’Doherty.
Prior to the building of the famine memorial this site was a green field with bumps and hollows, with nothing to mark the fact that thousands of people are buried here.
Between 1845 and 1851 a total of 2040 people are recorded to have died in the Enniskillen Workhouse and many of them were buried within this graveyard.
The paupers’ graveyard continued to be used until 1948. Copyright: Fermanagh County Museum, Ireland